Pages


Writer's Journal


Searching for the right answer, but ready to question.
A journal to a writer in his/her own mind. A journal to exercise words and dramas.
And to find what is right to say.
Because the writer and the words should be together. And because friday (here) is forever.

Jul 15, 2014

Unit 5: Journal 1

Pick one of the four topics listed in the Unit 5 writing assignment and choose the topic that most appeals to you for your final, peer reviewed paragraph.

Once you’ve made your choice, start with the first step of the writing process, inventing, and try a few of the methods to develop your ideas. If you find that the topic does not seem to be working, try developing another topic.

Once you’ve developed some good ideas for your paragraph, move to the second step, organizing, and construct an outline that you can use for drafting your paragraph.



Topic #1
Discuss at least four (4) short term and/or long term effects that finishing Crafting an Effective Writer: Tools of the Trade will have upon you personally, academically, and/or professionally.

Topic #2
Identify and describe a favorite activity or interest and provide at least four reasons why this activity or interest holds your attention and/or is enjoyable to you.

Topic #3
Identify and describe at least three (3) ways a person, male and/or female, is recognized as an adult in your culture. (Note: Three ways is different from the number of details required in the rubric.  The details are used to support the three ways a person is recognized as an adult.)

Topic #4
Identify and describe a traditional ethnic food from your culture. Provide at least four reasons why this food has remained an essential, primary food in your culture. While you may include the recipe, this topic asks you to discuss the importance of the food in your culture.

Topic chosen: #2, favorite activity:

When I'm not doing anything, I usually ask myself a particularly weird question: Am I a writer? I know the answer, of course, but I like to tell myself that when I'm deeply inside the secret places of my head. What I don't like is to tell other people that and to have to explain why I think I am. Most of the times they just can't get it, as they don't see my name around when they visit bookstores.

I've been engaged in writing since I learned how to do so. The first memory I have is of collecting stationery stuff and writing my name on them to, later, send a letter to someone. I'm an only child, my parents have always let me alone at home so they could both work. So I've always been kind of lonely and apart from big groups. What I really liked – and still do – was to sit on my bed and read a good book. So I started to think about creating my very own story, so I could be part of it, not just read it.

I remember writing all afternoons long and discovering I could actually do it! I didn't even have to think, I was writing all the time! My mother found out that and, without my consent, showed my first story-sketch to a teacher who really criticized it. I was 12 years old, I'll never forget how I had to explain that I wasn't doing that for them, but for me. I was discovering myself.

I love writing. I want to live from writing. A note, a report for work, a (soon-to-be) book... It's obviously fabulous when someone reads and likes what you wrote for fun, calling it yourself a “fictional story based on real facts”, but I think that what this is all about is our own happiness. I write for myself all the time – little stories I create and imagine everyday. And that makes me feel alive.

Then I also discovered that when you do it this way, you don't really have to question yourself because there are no words to describe that you are a write. You just are, no matter what you write.


Maybe someday everybody will see my name on covers when they visit bookstores and they as well will stop asking (me and) themselves that question.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers